I'm excited to announce that I've recently made some changes to the site that I hope you'll enjoy 😀
Lately I've been making an attempt to simplify my digital life by eliminating as many 3rd party platforms as I can - ie Medium, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. A major part of that is consolidating everything under a single banner that I have control and ownership over, which just so happens to be this website.
Due to that, I'll be posting a larger variety of content, which is outside of the normal technology and programming posts that I've done in the past. Since I've made the site require memberships in an effort to avoid having content scraped and used for AI, there are some additional options for members to decide whether or not they want to be notified about various topics or posts.
Previously, I had a single newsletter called "Kevin Williams". This has changed to "Tech Talk" and will have notifications whenever a new technology or programming post is published. If you wish to continue receiving these notifications, nothing needs to be done.
The Maker's Corner
The Maker's Corner is a new newsletter where I'll be putting all of the content and posts related to making things. Topics in this area will include 3d printing, laser engraving, CNC, and robotics.
I'm calling the 3rd newsletter the "Evolution Chamber" which will consist of any posts related to health, fitness, and just trying to become the best individual possible. This is where you're likely to find posts about Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, CrossFit, recipes, and things along those lines.
Updating Your Settings
If you wish to stop receiving post notifications, or want to receive some of my other content, you can do so by performing the following steps:
- Log into the site by clicking on the "Sign in" button in the header, or the "Subscribe" button in the footer and then clicking "Sign In"
- After logging in, click on the "Subscribe" button in the footer and then choose "Manage" next to emails
- Choose which emails you do or don't want to receive
Along with adding new email subscriptions, I'm also updating the way tags are used. Previously, I had fairly specific tags for things such as "Project X" or a particular platform like "Algolia" or "GitHub"
I've decided to use some new "Primary" tags, which will be associated with the previously mentioned email lists, and use more generic tags for everything else. Some topics such as .Net, Flutter, Docker, Azure, etc have kept their existing tags.
- Technology - All posts relating to general technology, so this would include things such as Azure, Docker, various cloud platforms, SaaS, etc. These posts are part of "Tech Talk"
- Programming - Posts related to a specific language or platform. These are also part of "Tech Talk"
- Projects - These will be personal projects and include both software projects I'm working on as well as various "maker" or DIY projects such as 3d printing and laser engraving. These posts belong to "The Maker's Corner"
- Health & Fitness - Posts related to workouts, training, and nutrition will live under this tag and are part of the "Evolution Chamber"
- Self Improvement - This tag covers topics such as book reviews, productivity methods, and courses. These will also go to the "Evolution Chamber"
The final change worth noting is a change to the navigation menu. Links to LinkedIn and GitHub have moved to the footer and there are now links to both my Etsy Shop as well as KTech Farms, my small urban farm company.
With these changes, I'm looking forward to creating additional content on a more frequent schedule. As always, If you have other thoughts or suggestions on how I can make things better, feel free to let me know in the comments!